We have officially entered the two-week countdown until December 25th. You’re ordering presents, finishing up (or getting started on) your Christmas shopping, the tree is up, the halls are decked, the elf is on the shelf, and you are getting ready for another round of Secret Santa.
Whew! That’s a lot of stress. Take a step back and see what else there is to enjoy around town. In this article, we’ve compiled some of the best holiday events around the Raleigh-Durham-Chapel Hill area for you to enjoy with your friends and family.
The following events are ongoing throughout the month of December:
The Nutcracker, presented by The Carolina Ballet. Featuring a live symphony orchestra, what would the holidays be without seeing or hearing The Nutcracker performed?
- From Dec. 14-23, see it at the Raleigh Memorial Auditorium. From Dec. 29-30, see it at DPAC in Durham. Tickets start at $40.
Rudolph the Red-Nosed Reindeer: The Musical. The beloved cartoon comes to life in this musical adaptation. Sure to delight both kids and adults alike.
- Showings available through Dec. 24 at the Duke Energy Center for the Performing Arts in Raleigh. Tickets start at $15.
- NC Chinese Lantern Festival. A break from traditional Western Christmas lights, the NC Chinese Lantern Festival features beautiful handmade lanterns in various shapes and sizes. The festival takes place at the Booth Amphitheatre in Cary.
Polar Express in 3D at the Marbles IMAX in Raleigh. Hop on the Polar Express in 3D and feel like you’re in the movie—on the biggest screen in town.
- Showings available through Dec. 24. Get your tickets here.
- “Home Alone” quote-a-long. Dec. 14-15 at The Cary Theater. Quote along with a screening of the holiday classic with subtitles. Everyone will receive a loot bag for a fun, interactive experience with the movie—à la Rocky Horror Picture Show. Donate a toy for free entry, to be distributed to children affected by Hurricanes Florence and Michael.
- The Raleigh Ringers Holiday Concert. 15-16 at the Meymandi Concert Hall in Raleigh. “Come experience The Raleigh Ringers live in concert as they continue to dazzle concert audiences with unique interpretations of sacred, secular, and popular music, including famous rock ‘n’ roll tunes arranged just for handbells.” What’s not to love? Get your tickets here.
- The Raleigh Flute Choir. Featuring holiday favorites and original compositions. Dec. 16. NC Museum of Art in Raleigh. Tickets start at $10.
- Mannheim Steamroller Christmas by Chip Davis. Hear the classic holiday album live. Dec. 18-19 at DPAC in Durham. Tickets start at $45.
- The Hip Hop Nutcracker. A modern retelling of a classic, the hip hop remix of Tchaikovsky’s music is not one to miss. See what the hype is all about! Dec. 20 at DPAC. Tickets start at $35.
- Of course, don’t miss the numerous light shows around the Triangle area. Read more in our blog here.
The magic of the holidays is upon us. There are a hundred and one things you can do around the Triangle this season, and you have your pick of what you want to see or do. As you do, keep the NC Coalition for Fiscal Health in mind.
Have the sky-high costs of healthcare in our state impacted you and/or your family’s lives? Do you want to do something about it? Join the Coalition now to receive updates about new legislation and policies that will affect YOUR healthcare. Sign up now!